Question: short period = possibly pregnant?

alwaysgigglin - Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:46 pm

Last month i skipped my period to go to a wedding (i'm on yasmin). i've done this once before and had no problems whatsoever. however, on october 20, i was put on antibiotics for an ear infection. that night, my husband and i had sex and he came in me. after about a week, i started feeling cramping and naueous and my breasts hurt really bad. i was also spotting. i called my dr and she told me to take a pregnancy test. i took 2 (one that afternoon and one the following morning). both came out negative. my period started on wednesday (a day early, but i wasn't really sure with all the spotting). i had taken the tests on monday and tuesday. but i only bled for about a day, then stopped completely. my period usually lasts about 3-4 days. my cramps and nausea and breast tenderness are gone.

i guess my question is could this be related to me skipping a period and then taking antibiotics? my extremely short period couldn't mean that i actually am pregnant could it?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:47 am

User avatar Some antibiotics can cause birth control pills to not work. When taking an antibiotic, you should always use a back up method like condoms.

Spotting is common on BCP.

The spotting, cramps, and light bleeding could have been a normal period. Sometimes, periods arent regular.

I would advise you to take another pregnancy test now, you didn't say how long after you had sex you took the first test, but it may have been to soon to tell.