Question: Giant growth in vagina; was not there 24 hr ago

Startled - Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:06 am

I think I'm losing my mind here! I just took a shower, and noticed "something" abnormal in my vagina. I was rinsing, and felt a thing hanging there. I grabbed a hold of it, and it felt large and fleshy, but the object itself had no feeling. My first thought was that I'd somehow forgotten a tampon and it was now coming out, even though I knew that wasn't it. I pulled it a little, and more of it came out. I felt as far inside as I could, and felt what appears to be more tissue attaching this thing to me. It doesn't seem to be attached to a vaginal wall, it's further up inside. I was able to get a look with a mirror, and what I have is a reddish object, about an inch wide (seriously!), flattened in appearance; maybe a 1/4 inch thick, and a few inches long. Wider than my thumb, not as thick, but longer. Very smooth surface, nothing remarkable other than the presence and the size. It has no feeling itself, but if I tug on it I can feel an aching inside. Needless to say, I stopped tugging. At first I thought I could pull it out, it was that foreign. No bleeding, no pain other than where I tugged it. It's scaring me to death. It was NOT there yesterday, unless it was inside. My husband confirms he hasn't seen it before, and this is definitely something he would notice. What the heck could it be, and is this something I need to go to the emergency room for or should I wait and get a doctors appointment? It could be as big as my hand tomorrow, the way it seems to have appeared overnight!
 Nurse Owens - Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:37 pm

It is very difficult to say what this could be, it could be many things. If you are not bleeding and are not in any pain I would not think it is necessary to go to the ER. However I would call your physycian to schedule an appointment for an examination as soon as possible.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:26 pm

Please disregard any advice or information given by this "Nurse Owens" who has been identified as an impostor preying on unsuspecting site visitors. He has no medical or paramedical qualifications, did not submit any credentials to the website administrator (as is strictly required), and did not undergo the mandatory trials imposed on volunteer members.

He was identified within a few hours of posting responses under his fake identity, and was permanently banned from the site by the administrator and webmaster.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:47 pm

A large fleshy growth,

which protrudes through the introitus,
has a very smoooth surface,
is not attached to the vaginal wall,
appears to originate from higher up the vagina
and is painless to touch

is suggestive of a cervical polyp.

A gynaecological evaluation is necessary to confirm this.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine