Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Bleeding After Intercourse

 juliear74 - Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:31 pm

I am 31 years old and have recently encountered bleeding (not spotting) after intercourse with my husband. After the birth of our daughter 2 years ago, I have have had irregular periods as well as brown discharge/spotting throughout my cycle. My last pap (last November) came back normal, however.

I have had abnormal pap results in the past (leading to colposcopy). Colposcopy was negative for cancer but my gyn monitored me closely until I had 3 normal paps in a row.

I am now wanting to get pregnant and am worried about this. My doctor can not get me in until the end of the month. Does anyone have any information as to what could be causing this? I am not on birth control.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:11 am

User avatar Hello,
I hope your feeling better now.
Bleeding after sexual intercourse is known as postcoital bleeding.
Cervical dysplasia and cervical cancer may be associated with postcoital bleeding and is the most significant cause.[1]
However, there are many other causes such as chlamydial cervicitis. Other benign causes of bleeding include atrophic vaginitis and cervical polyps, which may become apparent as postcoital bleeding. Postcoital bleeding may result from atrophy of the vaginal and vulvar epithelium. This can happen as a result of menopause but can be seen in premenopausal women. Even quite minor traumatic lesions may cause severe postcoital bleeding if co-existent coagulation disorder. Ectropion may also present as postcoital bleeding.

Your Pap smear was done a year ago. I think your doctor may want to do another one to rule out cervical dysplasia. You are strongly recommended to contact your gynecologist as soon as possible.

1. Rosenthal AN, Panoskaltsis T, Smith T, Soutter WP. The frequency of significant pathology in women attending a general gynaecological service for postcoital bleeding. BJOG 2001;108:103-6.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us