Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: pelivic inflammatory disease

 blitz - Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:09 am

i was diagnosed with this and was wondering what it exactly is im on two antibiotics one is ciproxl and the other is flagycyl or something i was wondering i read things that it could be causes by chlamydia if i have chlamydia will these antibiotics kill it?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:03 pm

User avatar Yes, chlamydia is a frequent cause of PID. Did your doctor test you for it? Antibiotics are the method of treatment. Sometimes, shortly after insertion of an IUD women can develop PID as well.

Have you had a full STD workup done? If not, you need to be tested for all if you have had any risk at all. Talk to your doctor about this.
 blitz - Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:53 pm

I havent been tested for chlamydia how is it transmitted? ive had std tests about 4 months ago and it was all normal...... im on cipro xl and flagycil or some kind of other antibiotic... will it kill chlamydia if it is caused by chlamydia
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:30 pm

User avatar Chlamydia is tested either by swabbing inside the vagina or cervix or less reliably in a urine specimen. It is treated with antibiotics so your treatment should be satisfactory. Call and ask your doctor if he/she tested you for chlamydia/gonorrhea and contact whomever you might have gotten the disease from, if positive and whomever you may have exposed to it of the diagnosis so they may get treatment as well. There are usually no symptoms in men, so they wouldn't know unless they asked to be tested of their own volition.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us