Question: UTI, contagious?

apple3456 - Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:26 pm

I recently had a lot of unprotected/protected sex with my boyfriend after not having had sex for over 2 months and I believe I contracted a UTI from it.
Urination was painful right at the very END of peeing and I felt like I had to urinate sometimes even when I didn't. I drank cranberry juice and it seems to have gone away in about 3-4 days without antibiotics. I did have sex once during this period and it seemed to aggravate the infection.
Now my boyfriend is complaining of his penis being soar, painful urination, and abdominal pain.
We are in a monogamous relationship and he was my first partner so I am not understand how this is happening if UTIs are not contagious?
I am worried that it was an STD but do not understand how this would be possible since he is clean and he was my first partner.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:54 pm

User avatar UTIs are not contagious, but do need to be treated with antibiotics, cranberry juice does not kill the bacteria and it will spread to the kidneys. I suggest you see a doctor about that as soon as possible.

Males can get UTIs as well, but these symptoms are suggestive of possible prostatitis. He needs to see a doctor as well.
 apple3456 - Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:08 pm

Is Prostatis a STD?
I am just confused on the timing of our symptoms. Right when mine were ending his started and we are both clean.
Is there someway that I could have given him the Prostatis?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:20 pm

User avatar A woman's UTI doesn't cause prostatitis, it can be an inflammation or an infection and it can be the result of STD, but is not an STD in and of itself. He really does need to see his doctor immediately to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment.