Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained Excessive Bruising

 lilbrwneyedqt - Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:16 am

I am a 28 year old female, usually healthy. Within the last few months my health has not been so great. About four months ago I began itching all over my body with no rash. Have been to every Dr imagineable. No clue. Then about 4 weeks ago I got undressed one night and noticed that both of my legs from my hips to my calf were bruised. Front and back. 50+ on each leg. I went to the ER and they did blood work which they said came back within the "normal" range. WBC 6.5, RBC 4.5, and PLT CT 229. They didnt know what to tell me, so I went back to my Dr a few days later when the bruises had not begun to heal. She sent me to an Oncologist which I am still waiting to see. All of my symptoms include, fever (99 to 101.3 for three weeks straight), fatigue, sore throat, headache, bone and joint pain, excessive bruising, night sweats, and now this morning I found a pea sized lump under my left arm. The bruises have only gotten worse in the past weeks. Every morning I wake up with new ones, they are now on my arms, chest, side, and legs. Please help!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:40 am

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry to hear about your condition. You will need to be evaluated by a hematologist if these are your only problems. If the doctor wants to rule out malignancy she may refer you to a hemato-oncologist. You will need in addition to a blood picture, an evaluation of your bleeding time, coagulation profile and may need additional tests accordingly.
There are many non-malignant causes of spontaneous bruising. Please let us know how everything turns out. In the mean time try to limit your movement to very simple, careful movements to avoid injury. No sports until this is figured out. Report any additional symptoms to your physician.
 lilbrwneyedqt - Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:59 am

Thank you for the reply. I have tried to limit my movement, but I get bruises from wearing clothes. If I wear jeans, I have a bruise down my leg from the seams. I have to wear tshirts and sweat pants basically all the time but yet I still continue to get new bruises everyday. I am very careful about what I do and I havent done anything out of the ordinary lately that would have caused the bruising. I have never bruised easily. I hate going out in public right now because I have total strangers come up to me asking if someone has beaten me. I don't know what to say to them. I am being seen by an Oncologist on Wednesday, my Dr referred me there 3 weeks ago but I had to wait for my civilian referral to go through. Oh my sed rate on my last blood work was 5. I am guessing that it is normal since the Dr didnt mention anything was wrong. The only thing that was off on all my blood work was my potassium was low. 2.9. Does that make a difference?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm

User avatar Hi lilbrwneyedqt,
I am glad you will be seeing your doctor soon. Your potassium levels are low and you should inform the oncologist about them as it may need correction.
Its good that you are being careful. Also be careful not injure your head and avoid sudden jerky movements of the head and neck.
Please let us know what the oncologist has to say.
Best regards,
 lilbrwneyedqt - Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:27 am

Went to the Oncologist yesterday. I know nothing more today than I did then. They took 16 tubes of blood and are running a bunch of tests. One of which noone seems to know what it is for PFA 100?? He said that he is trying to rule out all possible blood disorders before looking for something else. He said that he had never seen bruises like mine before and that they were very impressive. Thinks that maybe my platelets arent functioning correctly. My bloodwork had changed slightly from the last time.

WBC before 6.3 now 6.1
RBC before 4.5 now 5.1
PLT CT before 229 now 201

He said that he wasnt very concerned because they were still in the normal range. But he wants to do a ct scan to make sure there isnt anything else going on. Also wants to watch the 3 swollen lymph nodes I have. I under my arm and two in my groin. None of which hurt and are hard as a marble. Still don't know anything so Im still worried. Waiting......
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 pm

User avatar Hello again,
At least it seems more apparent to me why your doctor referred you to an oncologist as opposed to a hematologist. It was probably the hard lymph nodes that prompted a referral in that direction. Hardness in a lymph node means that a malignancy should be excluded.
I had also thought about platelet function problems, however, many other hematological diseases need to be excluded.
As to why you do not know anything, its because at this stage your doctor does not know anything either.
You will just have to be patient until the results come out.
Please keep us posted.
Best regards,
 lilbrwneyedqt - Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:44 am

Went back to the Dr yesterday, got all the results back from all of the tests done in the past three weeks. Everything came back within normal ranges except for my PFA, which he said was extremely low. He said that my platelets are not fuctioning at all. Now he has ordered a platelet aggregation studies. What could cause your platelets to just stop working. I am not on any medication and do not take aspirin. Is this a serious condition? What is the normal treatment? Is there any info you can give me regarding this?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us