Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: 19 w/ Factor VII blood deficiency, considering surgery

 Sadieann - Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:36 pm

I'm 19 years old and i have a factor seven blood deficency. At my last test I was 35%.
I also have a supposedly "common" condition of having one breast much larger than the other (one side is almost completely flat). After researching and trying out many different types of clothes, bras, inserts, etc., i'm still unhappy and considering getting an implant in the one side to make them even. I've been to different plastic surgeons and of course, they say that surgery would be no problem, and that insurance might even cover it (though they never responded after I sent in pictures of my problem). My hematoligist, however, has a very different viewpoint: It would be very traumatic surgery, I would have to recieve Factor seven for 48 to 72 hours following, and because of the clotting factor issue it might not heal right from the excess blood and become even more disfigured. Recently had a partner who ridiculed the (breast) problem and spread it all around campus. i hope that somehow a surgery like this would work. What's the answer?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:28 am

User avatar Hello,

I would be more inclined to stick with your hematologist's point of view.

To help you answer your question though, you have to ask yourself if you are first able to receive factor VII for 72 hours. If that is not possible due to financial or other reasons then you shouldn't go for the surgery.

If on the other hand you are able to receive factor VII replacement therapy the next question would be whether you are willing to take the risk of surgery failure due to bad healing. The person to ask about what that risk is would be your hematologist. Obvioulsy he will paint a more dim picture. But if you are willing to accept both these factors then you can go ahead with it.

I won't be able to recommend one course of action over another as I am unable to assess the severity of the deformity or the severity of your bleeding tendency.

Best regards and good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us