Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated Hemoglobin/Ferritin Level

nolesvdo - Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:58 pm

I recently had numerous lab work with CT and an utrasound done and my physicians still don't have answer. All they know is the my liver function is abnomal and my hemoglobin and the ferritin is elevated. So far bone marrow disease and tumors are rule out. What else can it be?

My Hemoglobin was 19.1 and ferritin was 612. The iron serum is normal and iron binding capability is also normal.

Thanks for reading
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:58 am

Ferritin is normally found mainly inside of cells, with only a small amount in the blood. When there is damage to organs that contain ferritin (especially the liver, spleen, and bone marrow), ferritin levels can become elevated even though the total amount of iron in the body is normal.

A repeat determination of serum ferritin should therefore be carried out after acute hepatocellular damage has subsided, eg, in alcoholic liver disease.[1]

Please keep us updated.

References:
==========
1. Kasper F, et al. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 16th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005.