Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: 24 year old female with high red blood count

Catts - Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:05 pm

Ok. So Got insurance decided to use it. Got a physical as well as a total blood count done which tests thyroid, blood leukemia, and all that. I am 24 yrs old. No cancer in family or anything major. Been healthy all my life. Well the blood tests came back and it said I had a elevated Red blood count. But everything else on the tests was either great or fine. I do smoke about 1 pack of smokes a day and live in Indiana. The doctor told me I was fine and had nothing to worry about at all. Well I am. I was wondering why would this be that I have a high red blood count? He didnt really elaborate. Someone please answer back this has been giving me anxiety over it! Thanks so much!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:32 pm

User avatar It is very difficult to say what that means without knowing what the red cell count and hemoglobin/hematocrit levels actually were. Commonly, these numbers will be just a little outside of normal thus technically making them abnormal but in reality meaning nothing.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us