Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: SPLENECTOMY AND ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES

BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello I am a 24 year old female. I had a recent (2 months ago) pancreatic benign cystadenoma resection and also had a splenectomy because the cyst was too close to the spleen. I was on birth control pills (Yasmin) for two years but had to stop because of the surgery. I am now ready to go back on birth control but since after the splenectomy my platelet count is a little higher than normal (493.000) and it has been stable for the whole month. I understand that combined birth control pills have a risk of producing clots and plus my elevated platelet count I'm scared of taking the pill. My doctor said that since the platelet count is not that far from normal, I might be able to take my regular BC pill and at the same time taking a child's aspirin every other day just to reduce the risk of clots and for my tranquility. However, my doctor is not a hematologist and I'm not sure if this will work. If this doesn't work then is there a certain pill brand that I can take that won't put me on risk for blood clots? I know I'm not the only female in the world without a spleen that needs birth control ;o) !!! ( I wouldn't like to have to use barrier methods if possible) Thanks!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 pm

I think the drug you are looking for is Aspirin. Its called an anti-platelet drug and is given to those at risk of thrombosis, ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction.

BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Hello, I know that aspirin will do this but that wasn't my question. I just want to know if since I'm a little at risk for blood clots because I don't have a spleen and my platelet count is slightly high, and I want to take birth control pills, if I can I take the birth control pill together with aspirin to reduce the risk of blood clots.
I just want to know if this has been donde before and if it works.
Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Yes. Thats what I answered. It would work when given with BC pills. It would reduce the risk you are at because of BCPs and the high platelet count.

Sorry, am I still not getting the question?
 BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Thank you Dr. for answering my question and I'm sorry if I was rude before, I was at work and really didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was writing. So, this means that I can take BC pills and Aspirin at the same time and this shouldn't let me produce any clots right? Now, I was wondering if you know , is taking aspirin at the same time than BC pills a common practice for people that are at higher risk of forming clots ???

Thanks!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Please do not apologize, I fully understand. I want to put your worries at ease.

Here's a link from the National Women's Health Information Center website about the various risk factors for stroke and thrombosis in women:

stroke.htm" class="postlink">Click here!

There's even a phone number that you can call!