Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: SPLENECTOMY AND ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES

BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Hello I am a 24 year old female. I had a recent (2 months ago) pancreatic benign cystadenoma resection and also had a splenectomy because the cyst was too close to the spleen. I was on birth control pills (Yasmin) for two years but had to stop because of the surgery. I am now ready to go back on birth control but since after the splenectomy my platelet count is a little higher than normal (493.000) and it has been stable for the whole month. I understand that combined birth control pills have a risk of producing clots and plus my elevated platelet count I'm scared of taking the pill. My doctor said that since the platelet count is not that far from normal, I might be able to take my regular BC pill and at the same time taking a child's aspirin every other day just to reduce the risk of clots and for my tranquility. However, my doctor is not a hematologist and I'm not sure if this will work. If this doesn't work then is there a certain pill brand that I can take that won't put me on risk for blood clots? I know I'm not the only female in the world without a spleen that needs birth control ;o) !!! ( I wouldn't like to have to use barrier methods if possible) Thanks!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

I think the drug you are looking for is Aspirin. Its called an anti-platelet drug and is given to those at risk of thrombosis, ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction.

Best regards,
 BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Hello, I know that aspirin will do this but that wasn't my question. I just want to know if since I'm a little at risk for blood clots because I don't have a spleen and my platelet count is slightly high, and I want to take birth control pills, if I can I take the birth control pill together with aspirin to reduce the risk of blood clots.
I just want to know if this has been donde before and if it works.
Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 pm

User avatar Hello,

Yes. Thats what I answered. It would work when given with BC pills. It would reduce the risk you are at because of BCPs and the high platelet count.

Sorry, am I still not getting the question?
 BBCITA - Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Thank you Dr. for answering my question and I'm sorry if I was rude before, I was at work and really didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was writing. So, this means that I can take BC pills and Aspirin at the same time and this shouldn't let me produce any clots right? Now, I was wondering if you know , is taking aspirin at the same time than BC pills a common practice for people that are at higher risk of forming clots ???

Thanks!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:44 pm

User avatar Hello,

Please do not apologize, I fully understand. I want to put your worries at ease.

Here's a link from the National Women's Health Information Center website about the various risk factors for stroke and thrombosis in women:

stroke.htm" class="postlink">Click here!

There's even a phone number that you can call!

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us