Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: low wbc and high monocyte

nananurse - Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:14 pm

51 year old female with family history of melanoma, bladder cancer and colon cancer. I just had my yearly physical and was told my wbc was 3.2 monocytes 10 globulin 2.2 and alb/glob is 2.1. Other than feeling a little tired, which is probably normal for everything I do in a day. I have no complaints. I take all the mannatech vitamins and no other medications. I have a skin condition called hailey hailey, but have no breakouts at this time. Could you tell me why my labs are out of wack. They have been taken 3 times with the same result.
Thanks, nananurse
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:09 pm

User avatar Hello,

Normal values for
Globulin : 2.0–3.5 g/dL
Albumin/globulin ratio: Greater than 1.0
So, your results are within the normal range.

Normal monocyte count ranges from about 4-10% of white blood cells (WBCs).
WBCs normal count:4000-11000.
Leucopenia is a WBCs count less than 4000.

So, your results shows a mild leucopenia.

Causes include:
-Viral infections
-Collagen-vascular diseases
-Drugs: like MTX which is used in the treatment of your disease.
Have you been on any treatment for the Hailey Hailey disease recently before the blood tests.
-Bone marrow, liver, spleen diseases.

Follow up with your Doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 nananurse - Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:42 am

I have been on k-flex and minicin for hailey hailey break outs. No other problems.
 nananurse - Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:45 am

The family history of melanoma and other cancer was from my sister and mother. I haven't had any cancers or anything else.
 nananurse - Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:21 pm

nananurse wrote:I have been on k-flex and minocin for hailey hailey break outs. No other problems.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:25 pm

User avatar Hello,

I can not find a definitive cause for this mild neutropenia but according to the history you have mentioned possible causes are:

- Neutropenia is a reported side effect for keflex(in combination form with paracetamol), so it may be contributing to the neutropenia especially it is a mild form.

- Some people during periods of stress have their leukocyte count lowered for a transient period.

- Another possibility to be excluded.
Cyclic neutropenia: it is considered if on serial differential blood counts a typical cyclical pattern of blood neutrophils count is seen. (at least 3 times per week over six weeks) to search for the disease.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us