Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low White Blood Count??

HampdenMomof2 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am

Hello,

Recently i had a test and the following came back:

WBC - 2.9

Neutrophilis – 1.39

Lymphocytes – 1.28

Monocytes – .21

Eosinophilis – .04

Basophils – .01

My doctor has really not told me anything other than my WBC is low, as she said the normal range is 4 - 10.

I am going back for a second test, also should i be concerned that my aunt has lupus?

Any information would be helpful

Thanks!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:52 pm

User avatar The most common reason for a low WBC count is a viral infection that is suppressing the bone marrow some. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor to have your WBC count checked again in a few weeks. If it remains low you may need some further work up; however, it is quite likely that by that point it will have returned to normal.

Lupus is unlikely to be the cause of this. Lupus generally presents with a rash, joint pain, etc.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us