Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low White Blood Count??

HampdenMomof2 - Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am

Recently i had a test and the following came back:

WBC - 2.9

Neutrophilis – 1.39

Lymphocytes – 1.28

Monocytes – .21

Eosinophilis – .04

Basophils – .01

My doctor has really not told me anything other than my WBC is low, as she said the normal range is 4 - 10.

I am going back for a second test, also should i be concerned that my aunt has lupus?

Any information would be helpful

Thanks!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:52 pm

User avatar The most common reason for a low WBC count is a viral infection that is suppressing the bone marrow some. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor to have your WBC count checked again in a few weeks. If it remains low you may need some further work up; however, it is quite likely that by that point it will have returned to normal.

Lupus is unlikely to be the cause of this. Lupus generally presents with a rash, joint pain, etc.