Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: RBC is high but MCH, MCV and MCHC are low

patient07 - Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Pls help as I am really worried about my health status, though I am feeling well and perfectly fine. Kindly interpret the results after our annual medical exam at the office.

Hemoglobin 13. 9 (13-18)
Hematocrit 49. 2 (40-52)
RBC 6. 65 (4. 7-5. 4)
MCV 74 (80-100)
MCH 21 (28-33)
MCHC 28 (32-38)

WBC 8710 (4800-10800)
Lymphocytes 4050 (1500-4000)
Monocytes 1071 (200-800)

I was healthy and fine when I had my test done. However, my RBC is high but MCH, MCV and MCHC are low. Is that possible?Ive been taking multivitamins since college that includes iron, shall I increase my Iron intake?. Can you kindly enlighten me as well for my WBC?

By the way, I also had the same results when we had the test last year. My RBC was high and MCH, MCV and MCHC were low. I was also healthy and fine when I had my test done. Pls tell me im fine and healthy cus im really so worried as I havent been sick since.

Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Basically all your labs are normal.

The elevated RBC count is not significantly high. Your low MCV, MCH and MCHC support iron deficiency. If you have been taking a multivitiamin with iron it may be that you are not absorbing it well.

Before increasing your iron intake too much I would recommend you talk with your doctor aboutt having some tests done to directly measure your iron levels (iron level and total iron binding capacity). There are a few other causes of a low MCV that will not be corrected by iron.

Your WBC count is normal. The increased amounts of lymphocytes and monocytes likely indicates that you had recently been exposed to a virus and your body was fighting it off. This is nothing to be concerned about as they are only slightly elevated.

patient07 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks so much doctor! Nice to know there are people around here willing to listen and clear doubts of anxious and very worried people like me. I will just continue to take my multivitamins and i will try to hit the gym as often as i could.

God Bless and More Power!