Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: RBC is high but MCH, MCV and MCHC are low

patient07 - Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Pls help as I am really worried about my health status, though I am feeling well and perfectly fine. Kindly interpret the results after our annual medical exam at the office.

Hemoglobin 13. 9 (13-18)
Hematocrit 49. 2 (40-52)
RBC 6. 65 (4. 7-5. 4)
MCV 74 (80-100)
MCH 21 (28-33)
MCHC 28 (32-38)

WBC 8710 (4800-10800)
Lymphocytes 4050 (1500-4000)
Monocytes 1071 (200-800)

I was healthy and fine when I had my test done. However, my RBC is high but MCH, MCV and MCHC are low. Is that possible?Ive been taking multivitamins since college that includes iron, shall I increase my Iron intake?. Can you kindly enlighten me as well for my WBC?

By the way, I also had the same results when we had the test last year. My RBC was high and MCH, MCV and MCHC were low. I was also healthy and fine when I had my test done. Pls tell me im fine and healthy cus im really so worried as I havent been sick since.

Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Basically all your labs are normal.

The elevated RBC count is not significantly high. Your low MCV, MCH and MCHC support iron deficiency. If you have been taking a multivitiamin with iron it may be that you are not absorbing it well.

Before increasing your iron intake too much I would recommend you talk with your doctor aboutt having some tests done to directly measure your iron levels (iron level and total iron binding capacity). There are a few other causes of a low MCV that will not be corrected by iron.

Your WBC count is normal. The increased amounts of lymphocytes and monocytes likely indicates that you had recently been exposed to a virus and your body was fighting it off. This is nothing to be concerned about as they are only slightly elevated.

Best wishes.
 patient07 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks so much doctor! Nice to know there are people around here willing to listen and clear doubts of anxious and very worried people like me. I will just continue to take my multivitamins and i will try to hit the gym as often as i could.

God Bless and More Power!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us