Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained bruising on my legs

pslnkm - Mon May 07, 2007 3:37 pm

I am a 26 year old female in good health 5 7 260 no high blood preasure no high colestoral or diabetes, i exersize reg. drink about a gallon of water a day eat a healthy diet, high fruit and vegy, for the last three months or so i have been bruising very badly on my legs and somtimes on my arms, ie right now i have 10+ bruises on both legs pretty good size they range in darkness sometimes they are a light tan to a purple red and very painfull to the touch, it has gotten so bad that my friends are shocked to see my legs and have remarked that i my legs are starting to look african american sorry thats srtong words but it gives you a good visual of coverage of the bruises.i have been having wierd symptoms for the past nine months such as fatigue, confusion, intake and outpute issues, like words and knowladge i know i know i have to think about befor i can believe it its true. sorry that doesnt make sense. i do not think these symptoms are related though. the only thing i can think of is that i don't eat red meat hardly at all and maybe i am not getting enough b vitamens. please if you can help i am getting worries as they never seem to be aday when i do not have bruises
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon May 07, 2007 3:43 pm

User avatar The bruising you describe on your legs may be purpura. This is sometimes related to low platelet counts.

I would recommend you see your regular doctor for a check up and a CBC to check your platelet count.

Depending on your CBC results, your doctor can guide what to do next.