Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Anemia and Nifirex

mbthemt - Sat May 19, 2007 8:24 pm

37-year-old female No medications at this time. Abnormal mammo 6/2006. Breast surgeon recommending mammo every 6 months. Followup- No changes thus far. Had MRI and Ultrasound.

Lab results: Iron 22 (normal 40-175) and TIBC 460 (250-450 normal). Doctor suggested Nifirex, but because of the cost I wanted to know if there is a substitute I can take and if so what is the dosage?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat May 26, 2007 1:34 am

User avatar Your anemia and iron studies are consistent with iron deficiency. Niferex is an iron replacement medication. There are several generic preparations of iron supplements that can be used. I would suggest you talk with your doctor about getting a prescription for a generic iron supplement.

There are a few vitamins that contain iron; however, over-the-counter multivitamins generally do not contain sufficient iron to correct a deficiency so you'll want to try to stay with the prescription supplements if you are able.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us