Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: is my bleeding time normal?

lilylenay - Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:15 am

i had a bleeding time test done i believe it was the ivy method they used. it took almost 6 minutes for my blood to begin clotting. is this mormal or not? i have read that under 5 minutes is normal but i am not sure. so if you could let me kmow if it is or not and what i can expect next i would appreciate it. also my doctor suspects i may have leukemia.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

User avatar The normal range of bleeding time is from 3 to 6 minutes in the template method; from 3 to 6 minutes in the Ivy method; and from I to 3 minutes in the Duke method.

Abnormal bleeding time suggests platelet defect (type of cells in the blood).

Leukemia can be ruled out by combination of physical examination and few lab investigations.