Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Permanent blood blister on my lip - caused by a cold sore

somebody2007 - Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 pm

I hope I chose the right specialty. Hemotology made the most sense.

I had a cold sore, on my lip, a few years ago, and it left me with a noticeable blue dot, afterwards. It looks like a blood blister, but it hasn't gone away.

I don't know how to get rid of it. I've tried to use alcohol and a needle, to pop it, twice, but it still stayed.

Can anyone help. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 am

User avatar I can't say for sure without examining you directly but I suspect that the inflammation of the cold sore has lead to a change in pigmentation in the area due to the inflammation. This type of pigment change is common with inflammation and usually will subside over many months but not always.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about it the next time you are in for a check up. I would also not recommend that you try to remove it yourself as this may lead to infection.

Best wishes.
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:05 pm

I tried to drain it,yesterday, and now it looks like a blue blood vessel. It was a blue dot, about 2-3 mm in diameter. Now it's about 2mm by 7mm.
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:09 pm

I just read your post. I did use rubbing alcohol on the needle and that area of my lip. Since, it's longer, I am going to see my doctor about it.

Any ideas?
 somebody2007 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:54 pm

I double-checked. It's only twice as long.
 somebody2007 - Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:09 pm

I assume that was all the advice that you have, so does anyone else know how I can get rid of it, or what it is?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:49 pm

User avatar Sorry for the delay in responding. From your latest description it may be exactly as you are saying. There may be a vein that is running close to the skin of your lip that you are seeing.

Seeing your doctor is a good idea just to double check things and see if there is a treatment that can help it go away.

Best wishes.
 somebody2007 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will do that, but I actually got another cold sore slightly below the blood blister, and it got infected, somehow. I went to the doctor today and got cephalexin. After my lip is better, I'm going to get the blood blister looked at.
 somebody2007 - Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:18 pm

I wish there was an edit command.

I know that it got infected after I sterilized my lower lip and the needle. I should have went to the doctor. I learned the hard way.
 somebody2007 - Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:39 am

I'm happy to say, after all of that, my blood blister is a lot less noticeable than the past many years. The doctor told me that I most likely popped it. It isn't gone completely, but I'm satisfied for now.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us