Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Chronic low lymphocyte count

mag75 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:49 am

I am a 32 year old white female with a chronic slightly low lymphocyte count. For the past 5 years my lymphocyte level has ranged from low of 1.0 to high of 1.8. My current level is 1.32. My % is 24. The rest of my CBC is absoluteIy perfect. WBC count 5.6. I went to see my family doctor and he feels it is just normal for me and was not concerned. I tend to be very anxious about my health and would like to know your opinion about this. Is this something that I should see a hematologist for? Is it low enough to worry about? During the time that I have had these blood tests done I have had my self so worked up and anxious that I am wondering if the slightly low level could be due to stress? Possibly due to an increase in cortisol? I am looking just looking for answers for this slighlt abnormal result. I am not on any medications. Father has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:50 pm

User avatar Hi Mag75,

Your lymphocyte levels are low but not critically low. Given that it has been going on for 5 years, I strongly doubt any cancer cause.

Cortisol does cause a shift in WBC's towards neutrophils and away from lymphocytes so if you were very nervous it is possible that this contributed some.

I suspect that your doctor is correct about you just having slightly lower lymphocytes than the general population. If you are not developing recurrent severe viral infections or other infections I would say your immune system is working just like it should. Recurrent or rare infections is generally the first sign of an immune problem.

It is probably still a good idea to have a CBC done periodically (say every 6 months or so) just to be sure nothing new is developing but I strongly doubt anything will.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us