Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Platelets & Elevated Hemoglobin & Hematocrit

css34 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi I'm a 34 year old female and had a CBC about 7 months ago with elevated platelts (421). Had new tests last week and now platelet count has risen to 476 and now Hemoglobin & Hematocrit are elevated??? I was referred to a Hematoligst and can't go until next week, what could cause this? I'm pretty scared as I have no idea what this all could mean. I have no other health problems other than normal stress & fatigue. I have had severe wrist pain and thought it was from computer work but was told it was a sprain but other than that, nothing????
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:23 pm

User avatar Hi Css34,

A platelet count of 421 and 476 are very minimally elevated. Some would still consider this normal. When normal values are determined they use a bell graph so some people will still be normal outside of the "normal" values of the lab.

Seeing the hematologist is a good idea to get an expert evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us