Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Eosinophilia

 Ceanne - Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:38 am

I am a 64 year old female. I have been treated for asthma for about 11 years. I have had numerous nasal polypectomies and several ethmoidectomies. I am a medical technologist and noticed that I had eosinophilia, usually running anywhere from 12 to 24% over a year. My allergy doctor sent me to a hematologist. He said that all my CBC's were normal except for the high eos. Since I had 80% eos in my sputum, he sent me to a pulmonalogist who ran blood tests on me and did several CT scans and x-ray. My immunoglobulin was in the 200s, Anca test negative, CRP normal, Sed rate normal, X-ray normal, CT scans normal, sputum culture negative, sputum ova and parasite negative. He did find that I had bronchiecstasis and put me on a antibiotic and prednisone for 28 days. The prednisone brought my eosinophil count down to 8%. He says he doesn't know what to do about me. Do you have any ideas that he hasn't tried?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:42 pm

User avatar Hi Ceanne,

It sounds like you have had a thorough work up. Eosinophils can be elevated in a few situations. Commonly they are elevated with parasites, which it appears have been tested for. They can also become elevated in severely allergic settings.

Given that the prednisone brought your eosinophils down I suspect that you do have a component of allergies. This would also fit your repeated need for polypectomies and ethmoidectomies.

You may want to see an allergist about this to see if there is any other testing that can help figure this out.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us