Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low wbc count

mima - Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:18 pm

Hi I hava questiona and am very worried. . .
my wbc count is 3.5 thous/mcL and Lymphocytes absolute are 802 cells/mcL. Is this something I should worry about. Also there was a trace of protein and mucus in my urine.
I am very scared here thingking my imune system might be low. Please help
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:22 pm

User avatar Hi mima,
Yes that is considered singificant lymphopenia. However, I would advise a repeat test. If it continues to decrease then you will need to consult a hematologist. It rises back to normal then you neednt' worry about it. Sometimes the immune system decreases temporarily. Is that all the blood film shows? Does it show any other abnormality?
 mima - Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:23 pm

thanx for your reply,
everything else is within the normal range...I have had a low wbc last time I checked my blood which was about 6 years ago...it was also about 3500-3600...
also, just to note, I have been under major stress for the past month and a half and have taken doxepin to relax for few days prior to geting my blood test, I have read that doxepin decreases the wbc count but wonder if taking it only for few days would do it...other than that I fee fine and have no other symptoms...

thank you again
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:10 am

User avatar Mima,
The critical level for lymphopenia is 500. Causes for lymphopenia are collagen vascular disease, protein losing enteropathy and even AIDS. I would put you under follow up to see if it decreases further. Either way, it would be advisable to have it checked out by a hematologist and have him run a few tests to make sure.