Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Phlebitis

FibroCAK - Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 pm

I developed phlebitis on the top of my hand and wrist after an IV for a colonoscopy....it's been about a month now...there's a 1 1/2" section of vein on the top of my wrist that is hard as a rock, and a 1" section on the back of my hand that is very sore & the clot seems to move around....nothing seems to be making it better.....can this cause a problem or does it take a while to go away?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, it can take a while for the problem to resolve completely and soreness to go away and I can't tell you exactly how long that will be for you. Applying heat to the area may help your symptoms and some doctors recommend taking an anti-inflammatory medication.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us