Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Elevated Inflammation Markers, whats up with them?

wtchmel - Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:22 am

Hello, I recently received a blood panel and all tests came out wonderful, especially the heart results, everything normal and great, Except the inflamation markers. THe esr and crp were very high, What do you think the cause could be. On a side note, I have no Joint pain or infections anywhere, and the esr elevation was very high 3 years ago during routine blood work as well. I feel great, I do have some chronic back issues though. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:00 am

User avatar Hello Wtchmel,

Inflammatory markers like ESR and CRP are, as the name implies, markers of inflammation. The problem lies in that they are very non-specific. As such, they become elevated anytime there is inflammation in the body for any reason. Most commonly this is due to an infection, including minor colds. Inflammatory conditions such as arthritis can also cause an increase.

If they continue to be elevated without returning to normal you may want to consider seeing a rheumatologist. These are specialists in autoimmune disorders. An elevated CRP and ESR in an of themselves do not indicate a rheumatological disease; however, of the vast array of specialists that are available, this probably is the best place to start.