Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Ferritin

JH - Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:16 am

I would like to know if there is a way of lowering my 551 ferritin level other than removing blood.

I eat ALOT of red meat and have plenty of vitimin C. My Hb is too high at 187, and I would like to know if eating less meat or no red meat could bring my ferritin levels back to a more normal reading? Maybe these figures below can help you see where the problem is.

Ferritin I had 551 and normal is (30--284)
Fer(Iron) I had 29 and normal is (11--27)
Cap. fix. iron (TIBC) I had 71 and normal is (45--81)
Saturation iron I had 0.41 and normal is (0.23--0.43)

Does this mean that I have Hemochromatosis?

For more information, I started this thread a few months ago.

thanks
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:13 am

User avatar I have answered your question on the thread you referred to. In case of hemochromatosis phlebotomies (donating blood) are an integral part of its treatment.