Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Toddler has swollen glands after 9 months!!

smule1985 - Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 pm

My son was seeing a hematologist after he had a wbc of 19,000 and very swollen glands some as large as 2 cm. After months of seeing the Hematologist his wbc went back to normal and the doc said that his glands seemed to be going down, which i never noticed that they did. It has been since Dec. that my son has seen that doc since he said it was no longer necessary to see him. I notced the other day that his gland under his chin on the right side of his neck is still huge , much bigger than the other one. its noticable to me when he looks up or turns his head.is that normal for the gland not to ever go back to a normal size? should i be worried? he hasnt been sick or anything since no other symptoms and it doesnt bother him but it worries me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm

User avatar Hello -

If your son was seen by a hematologist who found nothing underlying the high WBC and swollen glands, and your son has improved and not been sick since, all is probably well. A lymph gland can take a good long time to return to normal size and, sometimes, there is a permanent difference between one and the complimentary one. Still, it can't hurt to mention this to the doctor. It would seem a comprehensive workup was done and your son was followed and nothing ever showed up. For your own peace of mind, though, at least a call in to ask about the one still-enlarged gland might be helpful.

Hoping all is well. Please stay in touch with us here.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us