Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Toddler has swollen glands after 9 months!!

smule1985 - Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:06 pm

My son was seeing a hematologist after he had a wbc of 19,000 and very swollen glands some as large as 2 cm. After months of seeing the Hematologist his wbc went back to normal and the doc said that his glands seemed to be going down, which i never noticed that they did. It has been since Dec. that my son has seen that doc since he said it was no longer necessary to see him. I notced the other day that his gland under his chin on the right side of his neck is still huge , much bigger than the other one. its noticable to me when he looks up or turns his head.is that normal for the gland not to ever go back to a normal size? should i be worried? he hasnt been sick or anything since no other symptoms and it doesnt bother him but it worries me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm

If your son was seen by a hematologist who found nothing underlying the high WBC and swollen glands, and your son has improved and not been sick since, all is probably well. A lymph gland can take a good long time to return to normal size and, sometimes, there is a permanent difference between one and the complimentary one. Still, it can't hurt to mention this to the doctor. It would seem a comprehensive workup was done and your son was followed and nothing ever showed up. For your own peace of mind, though, at least a call in to ask about the one still-enlarged gland might be helpful.

Hoping all is well. Please stay in touch with us here.