Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC and High Monocytes

lcnewbie98 - Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Blood test results showed:
WBC 3200
monocytes 11

I've received this same result several times over the past year and a half. I have asthma and am experiencing burning in my chest that has been there for a while (more than normal).
What could be going on with me?
Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 pm

User avatar Hello -

Your WBC is low, which indicates a mild leukopenia; normal monocytes are between 4 and 10 per cent of the WBC. Your results show a chronic leukopenia, which could indicate a chronic viral infection (less likely with the passage of time), connective tissue disease/autoimmune problems, diseases of the bone marrow, and use of certain medications. It is impossible to know, without knowing more of your history, which may be the case -- or if it may be some other thing entirely.

You should be followed by your internist or, if there is a diagnosis other than notation of the abnormal lab findings, appropriate treatment. If there were a definite diagnosis I have to assume you'd be under treatment for something now, so my best guess is your doctor is simply following this mild abnormality and hasn't been able to assign it a cause. So long as there are no associated symptoms the best strategy is to continue follow up.

I hope this is helpful. If there are any additonal facts you may have left out, please follow up with us here. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us