Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low WBC and High Monocytes

lcnewbie98 - Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Blood test results showed:
WBC 3200
monocytes 11

I've received this same result several times over the past year and a half. I have asthma and am experiencing burning in my chest that has been there for a while (more than normal).
What could be going on with me?
Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Your WBC is low, which indicates a mild leukopenia; normal monocytes are between 4 and 10 per cent of the WBC. Your results show a chronic leukopenia, which could indicate a chronic viral infection (less likely with the passage of time), connective tissue disease/autoimmune problems, diseases of the bone marrow, and use of certain medications. It is impossible to know, without knowing more of your history, which may be the case -- or if it may be some other thing entirely.

You should be followed by your internist or, if there is a diagnosis other than notation of the abnormal lab findings, appropriate treatment. If there were a definite diagnosis I have to assume you'd be under treatment for something now, so my best guess is your doctor is simply following this mild abnormality and hasn't been able to assign it a cause. So long as there are no associated symptoms the best strategy is to continue follow up.

I hope this is helpful. If there are any additonal facts you may have left out, please follow up with us here. Best of luck to you.