Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: What are implications of Low Neutrophils /High IgM?

AJ63 - Sun May 03, 2009 5:31 pm

hi everyone:
I have had some confusing lab results, and I'm hoping you can help me understand them. My doctor was checking to see if I had Anti Phospohlid Syndrome. I'm healthy, non-smoker, don't drink any alcohol, 18.6 BMI, very fit, 46 year old female. Only other DX of importance could be Long QT, but I don't know if that's relevant.

The result is listed first, with the lab reference range in parentheses.

Neutrophils (absolute count): 1.4 (2.1-6.5)
Eosinophils 6 (0-4%)
Lymphocytes 41 (13-46%)
Monos 10 (4-12%)
Neutrophils % 43 (41-81)

WBC (K/ul) 3.3 (3.5-12.5)
Hematocrit, Hgb, MCV, Platelets, RDW, RBC all normal

Cardiolipin IgM >100 (1-9 Mpl) (was 41 in 08; no gammopathy back then. I don't know about now yet)
INR PT 11.2 (9.1-11.2 sec)
Beta 2 Glycoprotein ser/plas U/ml
[list=]IGA <10
IGG <20
IGM 14[/list]

CRP, homocysteine, and cardiolipin IGG all normal.
Cryoglobulins negative
Lupus Anticoagulant, ANA all negative (although I had an ANA of 1:640 speckled in 2004--negative since then).

a) Is there any relationship between the IgM and the low neutrophils?

b) My doctor wants to test again in 3 months. If you were my doctor, what would be the lab tests you would run at that time? Would you test for beta 2 microglobulins?

c) What are the implications of having high cardiolipins alone (that is, if the other tests listed above are essentially normal)?

d) If a doctor asks me if I have a clotting problem, and I've had no clinical signs of a clotting problem, based on the results listed above, do I say yes or no or kind of?

Thanks for your help.

AJ
 AJ63 - Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:03 pm

The results also show no gammopathy, which is good, I think.

Thanks for your advice when you get to me

AJ

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us