Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Had severe blood transfusion reaction, wonder which type?

sunshine_sammi - Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:37 pm

I have anemia and needed a blood transfusion and attempted my first transfusion last week. After about a tablespoon of blood went into my IV, my vision grayed out and I don't remember what happened next. I was told I had chills, diaphoresis, decreased level of consciousness, eyes rolling back in head and "woke up" so to speak, vomiting. What happened to me? They said I had no fever but had a severe transfusion reaction. I received Benadryl and Solu-Medrol and a bag of fluid after that. They had stopped the blood when I came to and said my blood pressure had dropped to 70/40 and my pulse had dropped. My family doctor was called and diagnosed it as a vasovagal reaction. Can a severe blood transfusion reaction be called a vasovagal reaction? They said there was no hemolyzation of the blood. What exactly happened? How often does this happen? They gave me another unit with the premedication and filter, and it seemed to work okay that time. What do I need to understand about what happened?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 am

User avatar Hello,If there was no hemolysis what you had was a vasovagal reaction.Possibly they thought of a transfusion reaction first but subequently ruled it out.