Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low wbc

jhayes42 - Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:14 pm

I had a blood test about a month ago and the doctor said that the white cell count was a little low, but that other things such as platelets were fine.
I had another test last week and now he wants me to see a haemotologist.
What could be causing this, and what woul dbe some possible treatments if any required.
I have not gotten back to see this my doctor yet.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:19 am

User avatar Hi jhayes42,
How low are your wbc's? What is the normal reference range for the lab that was used? Was a differential done? Do you have any symptoms, for example, fever, weight loss? Numerous things may cause a low level of wbc's from viral infections, immune system disorders, bone marrow dysfunction, etc. Keep in mind that some people carry a borderline low level wbc without any underlying disease. A hematologist will be able to rule out any possible underlying disease.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us