Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Unexplained weight loss in 17 year old female

lookn4answers - Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi my 17 year old daughter has gone from 138 pounds to 102 pounds since Feb. she has also complained of "soreness" in her groin area, often tells me she feels "knots" there. I am conviced she is not purging. She often complains of being nauseated and a loss of appetite, our family Dr. said it was stress. I am rather concerned since the gland issue is a new sypmptom.

I truly appreciate your help and any advice you could give to me as to what type of Dr. she should see.

SR
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Hello lookin4answers,

Stress can cause weight loss, but 36 pounds in 6 or 7 months is excessive if the person isn't trying to lose weight. Stress would not cause pain and knots in her groin area, and that development needs to be evaluated right away. If your doctor is not an internist, or specialist in internal medicine, or if he or she does not consider the knots to be significant, request an immediate referral or make an appointment with an internist as soon as you can. The internist can refer you to any other specialists indicated by the results of the examination, if needed. Knots or lumps often turn out to be benign, but that needs to be determined.

Please let me know if you need further information. Good luck to you and to your daughter.