Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: abnormal blood test results

Debr33 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:04 pm

I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid cancer. It is stable, no growth on nodules in lungs in 3 years-original diagnosis was 1990. I have no thyroid gland and take .224 synthroid daily.

recent abnormal blood test results:
HGB-16.7 normal12.0-14.0
HCT:50.3 normal 36.0-48.0
MPV:11.0 normal 7.4-10.4
Cholesterol:316 normal 0-200
Trig:154 normal 35-135
LDL:243 normal 62-185
VLDL:31 normal 7-27
Ionized ca:3.7 4.5-5.2

I understand the cholesterol,trig,ldl,vldl. Familial & diet -caused.

I am wondering what the HGB,HCT,MPV & ionized ca could be leading to. My endo didnt address any of these or tell me they were off. I keep copies of my january blood tests due to my cancer and these are new abnormal levels.

I know ionized ca could be kidney or parathyroid-would the other values be related to that as well? I have 1 parathyroid remaining-other 3 removed for cancer in 1990. Should I ask my dr to look into these values or are they so minimally off that it isnt anything to worry over.
 presbam - Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:35 pm

I am a 37 year old female, non-smoker/drinker. I am also adopted, so I do not know family medical history. I am not overweight. I have allergies to several things, including about six antibiotics and take Allegra and Singulair daily to control allergies. I also have Raynaud's.

I recently went in to have sinus surgery and had the pre-op blood tests come back abnormal. I have had several surgeries prior to this one and never had this happen. The pt/inr was prolonged. I was sent to a hematologist/oncologist and he has done two repeat pt/ptt along with cbc and ana and seratonin.

ANA was negative and the first cbc showed a low wbc. However the second cbc showed that the wbc had resolved itself, but then the Hemoglobin was high(15.6) and the albumin levels were high, as well (5.4).

He gave a vitamin K shot and did a repeat pt/ptt and that did not fix the clotting problem. He decided to give a higher dose of Vitamin K and retest next week.

I am more concerned over the elevated hemoglobin and albumin?? He mentioned something about Stress Erythrocytosis or doing a Lupus coagulation study?

Any ideas??

Thank you for the time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us