Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: RDW is 15.1

cass_dave - Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Hello, my husband had a examination at work. His RDW came back at 15.1. I am his wife and i am a medical transcriptionist. I know what rdw stands for but I wanted to know how seroious this is and what it means. We are worried that something might be wrong. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP. Everything else came back ok. It is just that the RDW was so high.........Thank U Cassie
 Anonymous - Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:41 am

The elevation represents a wide variability in red blood cell size. When elevated by itself, can be sign of early iron deficiency anemia.
 lstock - Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:28 pm

I am 48 yrs old and female. We have a health fair annually and I just got my results back. The only things that I had wrong were my cholesterol was a little high, but my good cholesterol was higher than it lists as normal and my RDW was 17.2. Could you please tell me what that means? Is it ok for the good cholesterol to be higher than normal (total cholesterol was 225). What does the high RDW mean? Everything else was normal.
Thanks for your help!