Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High Hemoglobin/Hemotocrit

Shyloxmom - Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:40 am

47 year old non smoking male. Has a CBC done to monitor high cholesterol numbers and is told his hemotocrit and hemoglobin numbers are high and sent to a hemotologist. The hemotologist agrees and orders ultra sounds on the liver, kidneys, and spleen. Results are pending. I am finding conflicting information on what is considered "high" and have not been given much information as to what the causes could be. Some of the ranges I find include my numbers in the "normal" range.

My numbers are : Hemotocrit 48.7 (was told normal is 35.0-45.0)
Hemoglobin 16. 4 (told normal is 11.7 - 15.7)

My question is : Are these numbers out of the "normal" range?
What are the most common reasons?

Thank you

Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:26 am

I quite agree that your readings are within normal ranges for an adult male.
The generally accepted range for Haemoglobin in an adult male is 13-18g/100ml and 40-54 for Haematocrit.

I cannot offer any explanations why someone else may differ from universally accepted
normal ranges. Get tested in another laboratory.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Shyloxmom - Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Dr. Solomon,

Thank you. I will get a second opinion.
 Shyloxmom - Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:32 pm

Is there a difference between Hemoglobin and Haemoglobin -

Haematocrit and Hematocrit?

I find information on both spellings of each term.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:03 am

Haemoglobin and Haematocrit are spelt in UK English, while Hemoglobin and Hemoglobin are US English spellings. I am not based in USA, so do not use US English spellings.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 tdf - Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi To All,

I just got tested and my hermatocrit is 63. I realize this is very high but, would this be considered an emergency?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us