Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: neutropenia and anemia

kat - Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 am

hi there,

i was referred to a haematologist by my gp a few months ago and have seen him once i was slightly anemic with haematocrit 32 and haemoglobin 11.9 and WBC was 2.8 and neutrophils was 1.2 and the anemia was macrocytic and so thought i might have pernicious anemia so i had a course of B12 injections. i felt nauseous last week and went to see my gp who sent me to have another CBC and showed that,

haemoglobin 10.5
haematocrit 29
WBC 2.1
neutrophils 0.6

and platelets were normal at 277. i will have to wait and see what my haematologist thinks but would you think i would need a bone marrow aspirate? because there has been a further slight decrease in haem and white cells despite having the B12 does that mean i do not have pernicious anemia? what other conditions would cause neutropenia and anemia? could i have myelodysplastic syndrome? i am 21.

thanks very much xxxx
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:21 am

User avatar Hi kat,
Since the B12 injections have not improved your hgb/hct levels in my opinion a bone marrow aspiration is certainly warranted. Other conditions that may suppress bone marrow function are alcohol use, certain medications, viruses, and many malignant disorders. Again, a bone marrow aspiration is warranted to identify the causative factor. I hope that when your time permits that you will consider posting an update to your post.
 kat - Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:56 am

thanks very much for your reply, i really appreciate it :)

i have an appointment with my gp on tuesday and so will see what he says. i will post back what he suggests, thanks. kat
 kat - Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:22 am

hi there,

i had some more blood tests and saw my haematologist again. I talked to him over the phone and he just told me few results:

haemoglobin- 8.1
white blood cell count- 1.4
neutrophils- 0.55

he said that he would put me on folic acid for a month and then if i was still anaemic then it was probably my bone marrow. he said my folic acid was a bit low-160 but this is slightly up on last time (152) and yet hb dropped from 10.5 to 8.1 in space of 2 weeks. if it was my folic acid it doesnt make sense that it is a bit higher and yet more aneamic. my liver protein and albumin is a bit high too.

Its weird im not feeling stressed really, i just think i know that things are really not right. I could have leukaemia couldnt i? At what point does your haemoglobin have to get to when the doctors think of possibility of blood transfusion?

Thanks, Kat