Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Arm pain with lumps and bruising

 alittlecurious - Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:23 pm

I am a 20 yr old white female and I have an area of hard vein on my wrist with bruising and pain traveling up 4 inches. At the very end, as well as throughout, there are 3 lumps that I can feel under my skin running along the vein. The pain is dull and bearable. Nothing has moved anywhere. Just started bruising today, 2 days after I noticed lumps. I was released from the hospital 3 weeks ago for a kidney issue with stones. Could this be a clot? Could the many IV's that I had cause this?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:17 pm

User avatar Dear alittlecurious,

Superficial phlebitis (thrombophlebitis phlebitis) is more likely to be the diagnosis of what you have described. It is due to inflammation and clotting in the superficial veins. Symptoms are in the form of: localized pain, skin redness over the involved vein. Swellings are felt if blood clotting occurred in the inflamed or injured areas of the the vein.

As a result the vein is felt as a firm to hard tender cord under the skin. This usually occurs after Intravenous lines insertion due to either traumatic injury by the needle or due to chemical irritation by certain parenteral drugs or fluids used. The condition usually resolves with the use of topical creams or ointments with warm fomentation. If the signs of inflammations increase in severity or extension, you have to consult your doctor as soon as possible for specific management.

I hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us