Medical Specialty >> Hematology

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: confussed!

gikme - Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:08 am

hi!
i was confussed that some ppl told me that i have anemia some told me that i have leukemia and some told me that i have low volume in iron, which is the answer?

details of my checkup are;

heamoglobin 14.1 (12.5-17.5)gm
RBC 6.2(4.5-6.0) **HIGH
RDW 13(<16)
PCV0.45(0.4-0.5)
MCH 23(27-33)**LOW
MCV 73(78-97)**LOW
MCHC 311 (310-350)**the doctor said its low
platetelet count 287 (150-400)
TOtal WBC 7.4(4-11)

neutrophils 54 (40-75)
lympocytes 32(20-45)
monocytes 10(2-10)
eosinophils 4(1-6)
basophils 0 (0-1)

the summary is

Hb normal
RBC ;Anisopoikilocytosis with hypocromasia. there are mostly microcytes with spheroctes,ovalocytes,target and pencil cells. some cells are hypochromic and some normochromic.
red cell distribution;normal
WBC;normal ,.no abnormal cells seen in PBF studied
platetlets adequate in number and normal in morphology

Impression:erythrocytosis with hypochromic and they suggest me to go hb-electrophoresis.

1) my question is from the above reading what will happen to me?from the red blood cells is it abnormal?
2) or shall i go for the test?
3) i developed eczeama last year, but the dermatologist told me that its a genetic ; so i diditn take much concern into this matter.
4) finally m i fit to work?

thank you for whoever help me with this dilemma..
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:40 pm

User avatar Dear gikme,

Causes of true erythrocytosis include:
Primary
Polycythaemia Vera
Idiopathic erythrocytosis

Secondary
Lung disease
Tumours
Renal
Fibroids
Renal disease

I dvise you to repeat the CBC with blood smear, to meausre the level of reticlucytes, blood urates, liver and kideny function tests. If there is a family history of erythrocytosis,a hemoglobin electrophoresis for proper investigation of hereditary hemoglobinopathies , variants with high-oxygen-affinity (low p50).

Keep on follow up with your doctor and keep us updated.

Best rgards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us