Health Tip: Eat Healthier During the HolidaysLast Updated: November 16, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- Food is a big part of holiday gatherings, but you can enjoy the holidays with all the trimmings without necessarily gaining weight.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- If you have a big holiday party, eat breakfast and regular meals throughout the day. That way, you won't be starving when it's time to party.
- Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and high-fiber whole grains that will make you feel full, without the extra calories.
- Eat in moderation, both healthy foods and indulgent desserts.
- Use a smaller plate, and first fill up on veggies before you try entrees or dessert.
- Eat your food slowly, taking time to savor each bite. Take a pause before heading for seconds, to be sure you're actually hungry.
- Take a walk after dinner.
|Previous: Health Tip: Caring for Baby’s Cradle Cap||Next: Kids With Autism and Child Prodigies May Share Certain Traits|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.