Health Tip: Bake a Healthier Holiday TreatLast Updated: December 19, 2014.
(HealthDay News) -- Baking holiday goodies doesn't have to include loads of butter and sugar.
The American Heart Association mentions these potential substitutes:
- Swap no sugar-added cinnamon applesauce for butter.
- Use a sugar substitute.
- Instead of heavy cream or half and half, use skim milk.
- Use whole wheat flour in half the amount of flour called for in a recipe.
- Skip candies and chocolate chips in flavor of dried fruit.
- Flavor treats with peppermint, vanilla or almond extracts, instead of extra sugar or butter.
|Previous: Loss of Teeth Linked to Physical, Mental Decline in Study||Next: Health Tip: 12 Ways to a Healthier Holiday|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.