Health Tip: Use Medical Devices SafelyLast Updated: December 17, 2018.
(HealthDay News) -- A medical device is used to diagnose, cure or treat a condition, or to prevent disease.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says a medical device can range in size from a hand-held glucometer to a large breathing ventilator.
Here's the FDA's advice for safe use of a medical device:
- Understand how your device works, and keep instructions accessible.
- Understand and properly respond to device alarms.
- Keep a back-up plan and supplies in the event of an emergency.
- Keep emergency numbers available and updated.
- Educate your family and caregivers about your device.
- Have your doctor and health-care team review your condition and recommend any equipment changes.
- Report serious malfunctions to the device maker and to the FDA.
|Previous: Health Tip: Keep Toys Simple||Next: Health Highlights: Dec. 17, 2018|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.