Pregnancy Category B
- Diuretic: Potassium Sparing
Brand Names (US)
Inhibits sodium reabsorption from the renal distal tubule (collecting duct), causing loss of sodium and water and retention of potassium.
Edema associated with CHF, nephrotic syndrome, hepatic cirrhosis; steroid-induced edema, edema from secondary hyperaldosteronism (alone or with other diuretics for added diuretic or antikaliuretic effects)
Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to triamterene, hyperkalemia, renal disease (except nephrosis), liver disease, lactation.
Use caution in the presence of diabetes mellitus, pregnancy.
- Electrolyte abnormalities: Hyperkalemia, hypercalcemia
- CNS: Headache, drowsiness, fatigue, weakness
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, vomiting, dry mouth, diarrhea
- Hematologic: Blood dyscrasias
- GU: Renal stones, intersititial nephritis
- Dermatologic: Rash, photosensitivity