Name: Capreomycin Sulfate
Pregnancy Category C
- Antituberculous drug ("third line")
Mechanisms of action
Polypeptide antibiotic; mechanism of action against Mycobacterium tuberculosis unknown.
- Treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis that is not responsive to first-line antituberculosis agents but is sensitive to capreomycin in conjunction with other antituberculosis agents
- Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to capreomycin; renal insufficiency; preexisting auditory impairment.
- Use caution if lactating.
- CNS: Ototoxicity
- GI: Hepatic dysfunction
- Hematologic: Leukocytosis, leukopenia, eosinophilia, hypokalemia
- GU: Nephrotoxicity
- Hypersensitivity: Urticaria, skin rashes, fever
- Local: Pain, induration at injection sites, sterile abscesses
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.