Brand Name: Keflex
Pregnancy Category B
Mechanism of action of Keflex
Bactericidal: inhibits synthesis of bacterial cell wall, causing cell death.
Indications of Keflex
- Respiratory tract infections caused by S. pneumoniae, group A ?hemolytic streptococci
- Dermatologic infections caused by staphylococci, streptococci
- Otitis media caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, streptococci, staphylococci, M. catarrhalis
- Bone infections caused by staphylococci, P. mirabilis
- GU infections caused by E. coli, P. mirabilis, Klebsiella
Contraindications of Keflex
- Allergy to cephalosporins or penicillins
- Renal failure
Adverse effectsof Keflex
- CNS: Headache, dizziness, lethargy, paresthesias
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, flatulence, pseudomembranous colitis, liver toxicity
- Hematologic: Bone marrow depression
- GU: Nephrotoxicity
- Hypersensitivity: Ranging from rash, fever to anaphylaxis; serum sickness reaction
- Other: Superinfections
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.