Ceftin, cefuroxime sodium
Pregnancy Category B
Mechanism of action
Bactericidal: inhibits synthesis of bacterial cell wall, causing cell death.
Oral (Cefuroxime Axetil)
- Pharyngitis, tonsilitis caused by S. pyogenes
- Otitis media caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, M. catarrhalis, S. pyogenes
- Lower respiratory tract infections caused by S. pneumoniae, H. parainfluenxae, H. influenzae
- UTIs caused by E. coli, K. pneumoniae
- Dermatologic infections, including impetigo caused by S. aureus, S. pyogenes
Parenteral (Cefuroxime Sodium)
- Lower respiratory tract infections caused by S. pneumoniae, S. aureus, E. coli, Klebsiella, H. influenzae, S. pyogenes
- Dermatologic infections caused by S. aureus, S. pyogenes, E. coli, Klebsiella, Enterobacter
- UTIs caused by E. coli, Klebsiella
- Uncomplicated and disseminated gonorrhea caused by N. gonorrhoea
- Septicemia caused by S. pneumoniae, S. aureus, E. coli, Klebsiella, H. influenzae
- Meningitis caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, S. aureus, N. meningitidis
- Bone and joint infections caused by S. aureus
- Perioperative prophylaxis
- Allergy to cephalosporins or penicillins
- Renal failure
- CNS: Headache, dizziness, lethargy, paresthesias
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, flatulence, pseudomembranous colitis, liver toxicity
- Hematologic: Bone marrow depression: decreased WBC, decreased platelets, decreased Hct
- GU: Nephrotoxicity
- Hypersensitivity: Ranging from rash to fever to anaphylaxis, serum sickness reaction
- Local: Pain, abscess at injection site; phlebitis, inflammation at IV site
- Other: Superinfections, disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.