Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: rabies hydrogen peroxide

blitz - Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:49 am

does hydrogen peroxide kill the rabies virus? k my cat had a wound and my mom used the peroxide on the cats wound and then later on i used the same peroxide will i get rabies?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:15 am

User avatar Does your cat have her rabies shot? All animals are required to get rabies shots. If she has rabies, you would need to take her to the vet immediatly, as animals with rabies will become very mean.
As for the question, if your mother used a peroxide bottle to pour peroxide on the cat, then you used the same bottle, no, you cannot get rabies that way.

Rabies is spread through the saliva of a rabid animal, not through blood. You would need to get bitten by an animal infected by rabies, or exposed to that animals saliva.
 blitz - Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:01 pm

I think my mom dipped a q tip into the bottle not just poured it on the cat. my cat doesnt have any shots.