Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Swollen lymph nodes - infection or something else?

Shayelyn - Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:12 pm

I've had a few swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck for about 3 months now. They are not at all painful, and they seem to have been increasing (slightly) in size. About a week ago, I noticed another swollen node above my collar bone on the right side. This one feels very firm, but is still not painful. I haven't had any fevers or anything, but I have been extrememly tired all the time, and I have lost some weight.

I went to see my doctor for this about 2 1/2 months ago, and she gave me a pretty strong antibiotic, which did nothing. So I went back to see her a couple days ago, and she did some tests. She did a strep test and mono test, and both were negative. She also did a CBC, but I don't know the results of that yet (by the way, the last time I had a CBC, about 4 months ago, I had an elevated WBC). The doctor seemed very concerned, but couldn't make a diagnosis, though she did say she didn't think it was an infection. She sent me to a specialist that same day, and he just poked around on my neck and said it was nothing. I don't believe that, because my GP seemed very concerned - enough to ask this other doctor to stay at his office late in order to see me that day. Anyway, the specialist did order a CT scan, so I'm going in for that next week.

Needless to say, I am pretty confused - and a little nervous. This couldn't be anything serious, could it? I feel fine other than the tiredness, but I would really like to know what's going on.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
 Shayelyn - Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:48 am

I would really appreciate if someone would at least try to answer my questions, as this is really bothering me. Thanks.
 mugs - Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:06 am

I am having similar problems with my throat right now and have been doing a lot of research online. I found this site has given me a lot of insight to what my problem might be and might help you as well. http://www.fpnotebook.com
good luck and get well!