Medical Specialty >> Infections

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia infection

Catie4evr - Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:31 pm

Several months ago, probably 2 and a half, i got treated for chlamydia with a one dose drinkable antibiotic that starts with an A I believe. I took the dose that morning before lunch and that night I had a glass of wine and then another glass of wine the next night. I was later told by someone that alcohol can cancel out the affects of antibiotics and I'm now scared that I might still have the infection. I didnt have any symptons before but now I have noticed an ongoing dull pain in my abdomen. I'm sure if it's just paranoia or something I should be worried about. Any thoughts?
 lucky7 - Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:18 am

go back to the doctors, only way you can find out.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:54 pm

You were most probably prescribed Azithromycin I g as it is the only single dosing drug used for uncomplicated Chlamydial infection.

However, it is a second line regime and there is limited data on cure rate - possibly less than 95%. The glass of wine taken daily for two days several hours after the drug will not abolish the effect of the drug.

You have not indicated any follow-up after treatment. Follow-up is an essential part of the management of Chlamydial infection and has many objectives, such as:

* evaluating microbiological test of cure (TOC)
* providing reassurance
* excluding reinfection
* following up partner notification

Please get retested at your local genitourinary clinic to eliminate your fears.

Dr Anthonty Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine