Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: strep

ann123 - Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:09 pm

Does a fifty year old adult need antibotics to clear up strep throat? I think I caugth it from a grandchild and antibotics and I don't get along very well. Is there any danger in not taking them?
 gstep - Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:41 pm

It is important to see your family doctor to diagnose your sore throat as "strep throat". Antibiotics can be used for strep throat, a bacterial infection, but not the typical "sore throat" because they are viral infections. To answer your question; strep throat does not have to be treated with antibiotics. If left untreated there is a chance that strep throat can turn in to rheumatic fever, or even kidney disease. Typically strep throat goes away on its own in 3-7 days. Your doctor should ultimately decide if treatment is necessary.
 ann123 - Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. I went to the doctor today and I do have a very nasty case of strep throat. I didn't know a throat could hurt so much. She gave me the same advice you did.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:20 pm

User avatar Hi ann123,
I am certainly glad to hear that you went for an evaluation by your physician. A sore throat from a virus is completely different from a sore throat caused by the bacteria streptococcus (strep). A sore throat caused by the gram positive bacteria streptococcus always requires a course of antibiotic therapy. Untreated streptococcal illnesses can cause numerous complications, for example, acute rheumatic fever, post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, etc. Rheumatic fever develops about two-three weeks after an untreated streptococcal infection and causes joint pain and heart disease. I certainly hope that a swab test was completed and if it was positive, antibiotic therapy was initiated. Get well soon!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us