Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Internal Testicular Lumps- What are they?

 brindlescruff - Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:22 am

Hello, I am hoping that if I describe some of my boyfriend's symptoms, you might be able to tell me what they are- and if it's something he might pass onto me.

He has been complaining of lower abdomin pain for a year. Three inches below his navel and about three inches into his body. Also, he has a small lump inside his right tescticle, about the size of a pencil eraser; I am unsure how long that has been there. He has no genital skin complaints, but he has had a lump on his shoulder for four years- this one looks like a mosquito bite.

I am worried because one year ago (about the time he started having the ab pain) he was sleeping with a different girl, and SHE just had lumps removed from her breast and from inside her vagina; neither was cancerous.

Neither of these people have warts, herpes II or any known/visual STD, but isn't that a little bit more of a coincidence? I had myself checked for STDS's two weeks after I started sleeping with this boy and all came back negative, but is there a STD that causes internal lumps?

History: All three of us (myself, my boyfriend, his ex) are in our early twenties. I have only slept with one other person besides him; they are much more experienced.

Thank you very much
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:55 am

User avatar Hi brindlescruff,
There can be multiple explanations for a lump in the testicle. Inflammation of anyone of the male structures may causes symptoms such as you describe. Infection related symptoms more often include both scrotal and lower abdominal pain as well as symptoms such as burning with urination, discharge, in some cases fever or chills, etc. However, has he been evaluated by a physician to rule out a varicocele, or hernia? Regardless of the cause and testicular lump should be promptly evaluated. If he has not had an evaluation by his physician to identify the causative factor I would suggest he do so.
Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:32 pm

the testicular lump can be anything: testicular neoplasm, epididymal cyst (which might be infected), hematocele and so on so he needs examination by a surgeon. You can send me an email if you have further concerns.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us