Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: white, itchy rectal discharge

 roxey123 - Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm

I am a 34-year-old lesbian. Sexually, I have a gf (of one year), and we engage in vulvar frottage. She gave me unprotected oral sex one time.

Here is my question:

I have been having an itchy, white rectal discharge and a strange-smelling vaginal discharge since June.

My doctor tested me for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV infection, yeast infection, BV and diabetes. All tests came back negative.

Finally, my doctor had me take cleocin ovules for three days, and it seems to have cleared up the odor. However, that feeling of dampness around my anus, and the itchy white rectal discharge is still present. Sometimes it looks like white clumps in the toilet bowl.

Here is my question ...

I know this can be a symptom of gonorrhea. My doctor tested me for gonorrhea vaginally and the test came back negative. If I have rectal gonorrhea, will it show up on a test that was done vaginally? Or does a swab have to be taken from the rectum to diagnose it?

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 pm

User avatar Your symptoms may be from an infection with gonorrhea or may also be a yeast infection.

To most accurately test for gonorrhea in the rectum a swab should be done from the rectal mucosa. A purely cervical swab may miss a rectal infection.

I recommend you follow up with your doctor regarding your persistent symptoms.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us