Medical Specialty >> Infections

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

Back to Infections Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/12/2017.

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Help with two issues

 redfence800 - Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:42 am

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post in advance. I have two issues going on...

1. I have found a small pea sized soft lump next to my testicle. It is not on the testicle but rather closer to where the crease bewtween the leg and groin area. About a week ago this spot had a infected hair, which I popped when the head surfaced, but now a small knot has formed under the skin that burns sometimes, but is not visbale from the surface and is not changing in size or location. It is generally painless unless I mess with it. Any ideas or thoughts. I have no history of testicular cancer or VD's I have read it could be a infected follicle and other things that frankly scare me.

2. A few days ago I fell ill having flu like symptoms (chills weakness, cold sweat) it lasted about 24 hours and then I was over it or so I thought, now four days later I am still not 100%, I am still weak and generally fatigued. I also have had diarrea for the past three days after this illness. I rarely feel this way. Any thoughts?

I am trying to be seen by a physician but am looking for whether I should seek attention sooner than my appointment in a weeks time. Thanks again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:51 pm

User avatar Hello redfence800,
The small pea sized lump you are describing is probably an enlarged inguinal lymph node. This could have resulted from the infected hair. Nothing to worry about, it should resolve by itself before your doctors appointment.

The other problem could have been a simple flu or a gastroenteritis, its hard to tell. Your doctor may request a panel of investigations to make sure your immunity is in good condition. This will depend on the results of your examination.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us